Re: Maximal Mount Count

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 07:05:25PM +0000, Paul Puri wrote:

> Now I have three partitions of equal size (1Gb).  Yet, now I fear a
> problem coming on.  My first partition is 11% filled, my 2nd partition
> contains only /usr and is 88% to capacity, and the last has /home
> which is %15 percent (due to monsterous soffice install).
>
> Is there a command in fdisk or someother app that will allow my 2nd
> partion (88% /usr) to grow if need be?
>
> Rather, what can I do to ensure that /usr can have more room to grow.
>
> 12% percent is not enough.  I doubt /home will ever need 1gb.  Thanks.

Hmm...  yes, this is the reason I ended up having to rearrange my
partitions.  I had configured a 500M /, 500M /usr, 500M /var, which
left me with a 1.8G that I used for /pub.  I also had a 500M dos
partition on the same drive.  Needless to say, I started running out
of space on /usr.  Well, I had some other problems, and a local mirror
of hamm on /pub, so I reinstalled.  During the process, I shrank the /var
to 400M and increased /usr to 600M.  It only helped temporarily.  Even
symlinking /usr/local to /var/local, and /usr/src to /pub/src, I soon
ran short of space in /usr.  Since slink was released, I didn't have
any use for my hamm mirror, so I deleted it and rearranged my partitions
as shown below (no symlinks used):

(I found a better use for the 500M dos partition too ;)

/dev/hdb2             486M   43M  418M   9% /
/dev/hdb7             1.8G  576M  1.1G  34% /usr
/dev/hdb6             395M   39M  336M  10% /var
/dev/hdb5             577M   56M  491M  10% /pub
/dev/hdb1             486M   15k  461M   0% /home/ftp

Some of the problems I had in estimating the size needed for the
partitions came from my experience with SCO... They tend to install
every package in it's own subdirectory in /opt, and symlink everything
out to the /usr tree.  I guess they figure it makes their packages
easier to manage that way.

AFAIK, if you don't have additional partitions to work with, you're
pretty much stuck with symlinking things around, unless your willing
to reinstall / repartition.

Mike

--
Mike Merten