dependency problems

someone last week told me about the pc magazine article that was placed on zdnet and led to the spate of discussion we've just seen.  my response at the time was "it's not for weenies".  that was, of course, before i began setting up a series of libraries to support a gnome application and ran into my current problem...how does one resolve a dependency problem that results because gnome-bin won't install because libgnome31 isn't installed, and libgnome31 won't install because gnome-bin isn't installed?  can someone offer me a hint here?