Re: X11 and potential monitor problem

   Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:56:20 -0800
   From: Mark Wagnon <mwagnon@ixpres.COM>

   Hi all,

   I purchased a Sony CPD-200ES monitor a couple weeks ago and have been using
   it with Debian without any sort of problem. When I bought I re-ran XF86Setup
   and configured for my new monitor.

   Today when I came home from school, I noticed that my monitor was brighter
   than normal. I checked the settings and they were still set to the default
   levels. The first thought that ran through my head was that I was frying my
   monitor.

   Is this indicative that my video card is driving my monitor too hard?

   The specs for my monitor are (from the manual):

      Deflection frequency,  horizontal: 30 to 70 kHz, vertical: 50 to 120 Hz

   The specs also indicate that there are factory preset modes for 1024x768 @
   60 kHz (horizontal.) and 75 Hz (vertical) and1024x768 @ 68.7 kHz
   (horizontal) and 85 Hz (vertical).

   My video card is a Matrox Millennium II with 8 megs of RAM. I don't have the
   specs for the card handy, but it is listed as a supported card.

   When I set up X11, I made sure to enter refresh rate frequencies that were
   within the limits of what the specs above show. I think I entered 32 to 68
   kHz for horizontal and 55 to 110 Hz for vertical.

   Is there something else I should be doing?

i do not believe X will use video mode which is out of
monitor specs. You can run "xvidtune" and check
what horizontal and vertical frequencies are

OK