Re: size of kernel too big?

   Hello everybody,

hi

   I recently compiled kernel 2.2.1 (my 1st attempt), and everything seems
   to be going smoothly (except for playing .wav files, but that's another
   story...) Anyway, did not put anything into "modules" (is that bad?)...
   Now, when I look at my /var/log/messages, I see this...

   monkeyhouse kernel: Memory: 30616k/32768k available (1000k kernel code,
   416k reserved, 629k data, 44k init)Feb25

more than 384k reserved? hmm...

   Is that saying that my kernel ids 1MB? If it is, is that too big? Will I
   make it faster, leaner, smoother, etc bu sticking sound (+anything
   else?) into "modules"?

well, if you're going to use modules all the time, it will make kernel
a bit bigger, not smaller. If you're going to put some stuff into modules and
use them occationaly and unload them when job is done (manually
or automatically via kerneld/kmod), better compile most stuff as modules.

i usually compile into kernel only what is really for everysecond usage:
ext2, psaux and ethernet. All other stuff - floppy, sound, all
filesystems, ppp... - is compiled as modules and managed by
kerneld

   Thanks,

   Rich

OK

on 32meg PC my numbers for 2.0.36+patches are

Memory: 31168k/32768k available (496k kernel code, 384k reserved, 720k data