X11 and potential monitor problem

Hi all,

I purchased a Sony CPD-200ES monitor a couple weeks ago and have been using
it with Debian without any sort of problem. When I bought I re-ran XF86Setup
and configured for my new monitor.

Today when I came home from school, I noticed that my monitor was brighter
than normal. I checked the settings and they were still set to the default
levels. The first thought that ran through my head was that I was frying my
monitor.

Is this indicative that my video card is driving my monitor too hard?

The specs for my monitor are (from the manual):

   Deflection frequency,  horizontal: 30 to 70 kHz, vertical: 50 to 120 Hz

The specs also indicate that there are factory preset modes for 1024x768 @
60 kHz (horizontal.) and 75 Hz (vertical) and1024x768 @ 68.7 kHz
(horizontal) and 85 Hz (vertical).

My video card is a Matrox Millennium II with 8 megs of RAM. I don't have the
specs for the card handy, but it is listed as a supported card.

When I set up X11, I made sure to enter refresh rate frequencies that were
within the limits of what the specs above show. I think I entered 32 to 68
kHz for horizontal and 55 to 110 Hz for vertical.

Is there something else I should be doing?

TIA