Re: I have PINE .debs...

> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
>
> > You can't re-distribute dirivative works.  That's key because an official
> > Debian package would require a slightly modified binary in order to comply
> > with the Debian filesystem guidelines.  You can modify it for LOCAL USE,
> > in which case you need to append L to the version number.  Making
> > something available for download on the internet hardly constitues local
> > use.

I hope I'm not resurrecting a very old and too-often-discussed issue, but
I was wondering if someone could tell me the specifics. What is it exactly
that requires a compliant Debian-released Pine to be a "derivative work"?
Are there changes to file locations that can't be handled with a
"configure" parameter?