Re: I have PINE .debs...

NatePuri
Certified Law Student
& Debian GNU/Linux Monk
McGeorge School of Law
publisher@ompages.com
http://ompages.com

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Steve Willer wrote:

> > On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> >
> > > You can't re-distribute dirivative works.  That's key because an official
> > > Debian package would require a slightly modified binary in order to comply
> > > with the Debian filesystem guidelines.  You can modify it for LOCAL USE,
> > > in which case you need to append L to the version number.  Making
> > > something available for download on the internet hardly constitues local
> > > use.
>
> I hope I'm not resurrecting a very old and too-often-discussed issue, but
> I was wondering if someone could tell me the specifics. What is it exactly
> that requires a compliant Debian-released Pine to be a "derivative work"?
> Are there changes to file locations that can't be handled with a
> "configure" parameter?

Nothing requires Debian-released Pine to be a 'derivative work.'  In fact,
UW has restrictions on distribution of a derivative work.

Apply .diff files that changes the source code, would be a new work,
derived from the old.  Distribution of that code in binary format is
restricted.  The source can be distributed, but only upon UW notification.

Upon some reflection, it occurs to me, that making a debian package in
itself does not alter the source code in pine's *.tar.gz file.  The
debian/build parameter merely packages the source so that it can be
installed on a debian system.  Distribution of *.deb files is not
distribution of a derivative work, but the work itself in a wrapper
(i.e., in a cristmas wrapping, not the technical term 'wrap, wrapper,
etc.'.

I'm not sure if I addressed your concern.  Please continue correspondence.
Thank you.