Defining a new LaTeX-counter (off-topic)

I want to define a new counter in LaTeX and as I understand The LaTeX
Companion page 446 it can be done with the command

\newcounter{mynecounter}

However the following file results in an error message when I run LaTeX:

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}

\begin{document}

\newcounter{bepaling}        {\arabic{bepaling}}

\bepaling

Ek skryf iets

\end{document}               % End of document

And the error message:

ERROR: Undefined control sequence.

--- TeX said ---
l.7 \bepaling

--- HELP ---
TeX encountered an unknown command name. You probably misspelled the
name. If this message occurs when a LaTeX command is being processed,
the command is probably in the wrong place---for example, the error
can be produced by an \item command that's not inside a list-making
environment. The error can also be caused by a missing \documentstyle
command.

Can somebody help, please?

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my
      path."           Psalms 119:105