Re: Defining a new LaTeX-counter (off-topic)

Johann Spies wrote:

> I want to define a new counter in LaTeX and as I understand The LaTeX
> Companion page 446 it can be done with the command
>
> \newcounter{mynecounter}
>
> However the following file results in an error message when I run LaTeX:
>
> \documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \newcounter{bepaling}        {\arabic{bepaling}}
>
> \bepaling
>
> Ek skryf iets
>
> \end{document}               % End of document

Hi Johann,

I am by no means a LaTeX guru, but I think the problem is that \bepaling
isn't a TeX or LaTeX command. If you're trying to increment the counter
then according to A Guide to LaTeX2e by Kopka and Daly, you need to use
the \stepcounter command like so:

   \stepcounter{bepaling}

I've never done this before, but I hope that helps.
--
                                  __   _
Mark Wagnon                  -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __