Re: Kernel: Unable to load interpreter

Chris Kaltwasser:
> Does someone know the meaning of this message?

I don't know what the message means, but I got it when I ran out of virtual
memory.

A way to check how much memory is free is using Shift-ScrollLock (with the
default keyboard map). This works even if there isn't enough memory free to
run `free'.

If you don't know what's gobbling up the memory, try running `top' and
pressing `M', which is the sort-by-memory key. You can leave it running on
a spare terminal, so that it's there when you need it (use the secure
option if necessary).

> The hard drive starts thrashing, and just about everything I try to do
> becomes impossible.

That would be consistent with running out of memory - first the computer
starts using swap (hence the thrashing), then it runs out altogether.

If you need a lot of virtual memory on a short-term basis, you can use a
file-based swap - not as efficient as a partition, but a lot easier to set
up. Wouldn't get rid of the thrashing, but it'd let the computer finish
what it's trying to do (assuming it's something that actually finishes
eventually).

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently