Kernel: Unable to load interpreter

Does someone know the meaning of this message?  I've got a machine running
hamm that's been doing this fairly often the past couple of days.  The hard
drive starts thrashing, and just about everything I try to do becomes
impossible.  Just now I had to do a hardware restart, which gets it working
"normally" again.  Could this be a problem with the kernel image or
something like that?

Thanks!

Chris Kaltwasser                    chris@vote-smart.org
Director of Online Services           Project Vote Smart
Office: (541) 737-0747               FAX: (541) 737-3701

            1-888-VOTE SMART (1-888-868-3762)

                http://www.Vote-Smart.org