Printing problems

Hello,
Recently I was moved to Debian. I have installed Debian 2.0 'hamm'
distribution. I succeded with ppp connection, X-windows,
applications,...but I was not able to suitably configure the printing
protocole!
I have an Epson Stylus Color 600 local printer. First I read the
printing-howto. I used magicfilterconfig to create the /etc/printcap
file with the adequate filter and the /var/spool/lpd nad
/var/spool/lpd/lp dirs. However when trying to print for instance the
/etc/printcap file by using "lpr /etc/printcap" the following message
was obtained:
Connection to 'localhost' failed-connection refused
job 'cfAxxxdebian' transfer to lp@localhost failed

When I invoked "lpc status" I found
cannot open connection to 'lp@localhost'-connection refused

I am not in any network (is my home PC connected to internet by modem)!

Would someone be so kind of explain me the right way to configure my
printer?

Thanks in advance!
--
Dr. A. Gustavo Gonzalez