Need help with new cable modem

Help!

As of about 8 pm tonight I will have a brand spanking new cable modem
connection to the internet.  However, at this point it looks like it
might only work for Windows 95, and this sucks.  Is there anyone out
there on the @Home network who might be able to help me configure my
linux box to use it?

I can tell already I have several issues to address:

1) Find a driver for the plug-n-pray PCI ethernet controller they
installed. (Realtek RTL8029 - a really really generic card, the box
doesn't even have the manufacturers name on it)

2) Configure a DHCP client.  Also, in relation to this, I may need to
change my hostname to that beastly thing they assigned me... ugh

3) Pray to God.  (Or gods, or goddesses, depending on religious
inclination)

So, can anyone give me any pointers?