RE: Need help with new cable modem

> 1) Find a driver for the plug-n-pray PCI ethernet controller they
> installed. (Realtek RTL8029 - a really really generic card, the box
> doesn't even have the manufacturers name on it)

Supported in the 2.2 series if I recall

> 2) Configure a DHCP client.  Also, in relation to this, I may need to
> change my hostname to that beastly thing they assigned me... ugh

Just install dhcp package -- no config needed.  As to the hostname.  Just set
the hostname on your local ethernet rather than over the global one.  To you
and other machines at home you are Home, over the net you are
qwe123-cable

> 3) Pray to God.  (Or gods, or goddesses, depending on religious
> inclination)

We like to sacrifice NT machines at work, but as you wish (-: