Re: How to import pub keys with gnupg

vandeveb@letu.edu wrote:
> Well, using the '-a' on the export did work to get rid of the
> 'public key not found' error when doing:

> # gpg -r B -se file1

That's the correct syntax for doing this.

> I had actually tried this before.  But when 'B' goes to decrypt
> the file1.gpg this is what happens:

> #cat /home/A/file1.gpg | gpg
> gpg: public key decryption failed: secret key not available
> gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

> Why can't B find his own secret key? It should be in his .gnupg
> directory.

It looks like the secret-key is not available. This can be checked by
doing "gpg --list-secret-keys". Then you see which secret key is
available for encrypten and/or signing. With "gpg --list-keys" you can
see who's key is available. So you should check the available keys
carefully. It looks like you have made a mistake while importing and
exporting the keys. I suggest that you deleted the files in the .gnupg
directory and generate new keys and then export them with the -a-Option
and you should always specific who's key you want to export.

> Thanks for the help with the unsecured memory.

Hm, I'm going to look if this is a know bug or not and then write a mail
to the maintainer.

Ciao
     Christian
--