Re: A couple more strange "sound" probs...

Sorry,

I have promissed to write yesterday, but I completly forgot. Here goes
my awe64 setup information.

I tried to play some .wav files (with xwave) and they played well. So
I am suposing everything is working OK. If this is not the case I
would appreciate if some one calls my attention.

"cat /proc/sound" gives:

-----------

leia:/home/rsilva# cat /proc/sound
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux leia 2.2.1 #1 Sun Feb 14 22:16:07 EST 1999 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: AWE32-0.4.3 (RAM512k)

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16
1: AWE Midi Emu

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

---------------

To get this I used the following setup in the kernel 2.2.1 sound
configuration:

    Sound Card Support: Module
    OSS sound modules: Module
    100% Sound Blaster compatibles (SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support: Module
    Generic OPL2/OPL3 FM synthesizer support: Module
    FM synthesizer (YM3812/OPL-3) support: Moudule
    Additional low level sound drivers: Yes
    AWE32 synth: Module

That is all. If you have doubts you can read the file
          <your linux source directory>/Documentation/sound/AWE32
That is where I got the tips.

You have also to give information to reload the module and what are
the irq's, dma's and i/o's ports of your card. The resr of this
information is Debian only, I guess. Create an file in "/etc/modutils"
called awe32 with the following content:

----------------
# AWE64 configuration.
alias sound sb
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /usr/bin/sfxload /usr/share/awe32/synthgm.sbk
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
---------------

Surely you must change the path of the synthgm.sbk file above to a
proper location on your system and  give the right resources in the
"options" line, they must match your isapnp configurations (or the
jumpers if you don't have a pnp card).

Now run "update-moudules" as root to let your Debian system use the
information in this file to create start-up configuration.

The last step is to run "modconf" to install the modules. In the
section "misc" install:

	awe_wave
	opl3
	sb
	soundcore
	soundlow
	sound
	uart401

At my system, "soundcore" is automatically installed when I install
"sound".

That's all. If someone finds an error please advise-me. Hope that
helps and best luck for all.

Paulo.