open broken in slink?

When I do an 'open -ls' as either root or as a normal user, I'm taken
to the first open VT like I should be, but the cursor gets stuck in
the first column and nothing that I type gets echoed to the screen. The
result of any commands that I type display fine (for instance, if I type
in 'env' it lists my environment variables) but it would be nice to see
what I'm typing. Another odd thing is that standard error doesn't seem
to display at all either- if I type in a bunch of garbage I'd expect to
get a command not found message but I get zip.

Does anyone else have this problem or know of a fix? I've already tried
purging and reinstalling the open package (version 1.4-10) and all of
my other packages are up to date with the latest in slink.

TIA