Re: hamm to slink upgrade via atp question

*- On 18 Feb, Mark Wagnon wrote about "hamm to slink upgrade via atp question"
> Hi all,
>
> I've decided to try to upgrade to slink. My question is that according
> to apt. it's going to take 8+ hours to ftp all the files. I can't have
> my phone tied up that long. How can I download the files during shorter
> times? If I close the connection, will apt just start where it left off?
>
> I haven't looked through my man pages on this issue as my man pages are
> broken (another apt-related story that I won't go into).

You can upgrade small chunks at a time by using deselect to put sections
on hold.  First start by putting everything on hold by putting the
cursor over the

--- Updated packages (newer version is available) ---

line and hit the equal key(=). Then select the Required files for
upgrade, move the cursor over the

----- Updated Required packages -----

line and hit the plus key(+).  Then exit the Select screen and
start the Install.  After those are installed you can proceed to select
other sections for upgrade in the same way. Work you way down the level
of importance: Required, Important, Standard, Optional, Extra.
You will have to deal with dependency issues along the way.  Also the
'Great X Reorganization' still has some upgrade issues so read all the
descriptions, especially the xbase package.

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net