Re: Lilo or Loadlin...

On 19 Feb 1999q, Person, Roderick wrote:
> Ok,
>
> I've settled the problem of HD size and I can live with the answer now my
> problem is this, hdb hold all my linux stuff it works. hda is a small 250M
> that is dedicated to windows (for the wife and kids). Problem, I have now
> documentation on the drive since it came with the PC and dont know the
> jumper settings to make it a slave. Therefore it must boot. But, while
> installing windoze, and becoming very upset with reboot error stuff, I
> didn't remember to save my boot sector from windoze.
>
> So,
> How do I setup lilo or loadlin to boot hdb? Which is better??

My vote is for loadlin, for the following reasons:

1. Lilo can cause problems. (I know everyone says it's fine if set up
properly and I'm sure it is, but see how many appeals for help appear on
this list.)

2. loadlin is just as quick as lilo, possibly quicker. You can select it at
boot using a suitable autoexec.bat script, and if you are already running
DOS you can boot linux without rebooting. (I know the machine will then
reboot but you don't have to reboot first in order to get to loadlin.)

3. When you are trying out a new kernel, you just point the batch file to
it; if it doesn't work you can revert to your previous kernel easily.

I don't use Windows but I have DOS because there are a few programs I need
there; but even if I didn't need DOS otherwise, I'd keep a small DOS
partition just to be able to use loadlin.

Booting linux on hdb from hda is easy (see the docs).  I do this; I have an
entry like "root=/dev/hdb1" in my batch file.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)