Re: KDEDIR and Debian packages

Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Personally, I recommend that you don't use the .debs because you won't
> find debs for any of the many other KDE applications available.  I
> think it is better that you keep KDE separate in /opt/kde or
> /usr/local/kde and use a program such as Smart Install to keep track
> of KDE packages.
>
> You might also steal /etc/menu-methods/kde from the .debs before you
> get rid of them (and edit it to use a proper directory).

Could you expand on how to do this?  I installed from the same source
tarballs as on Suse, and the configure script didn't detect it was being
installed on debian. So I have no debian menus in kpanel :-(

Short of installing binary debs, can I do this?

How do debian users setup local printers? I see no front end like Redhat
control panel or YasT.  The /etc files are rather intimidating and I
can't find the relevant documentation.  (I have the Debian 2 official
binary CD for 1386)

Does Debian 2.1 come with a Window Maker deb compiled with --enable-kde?

TIA
George Russell