Re: KDEDIR and Debian packages

Montreal Thu Feb 18 07:43:30 1999

MacKenzie, Andrew <Andrew.MacKenzie@Cognos.COM> wrote:
>               It is my understanding that on Debian, the KDEDIR variable
> does not have to be set.  I could be wrong but I think I read that
> somewhere.
>
>               I just installed KDE1.1 Debs from KDE.org and unless dpkg
> modified my .bashrc, the KDEDIR is not set and all works fine.

Personally, I recommend that you don't use the .debs because you won't
find debs for any of the many other KDE applications available.  I
think it is better that you keep KDE separate in /opt/kde or
/usr/local/kde and use a program such as Smart Install to keep track
of KDE packages.

You might also steal /etc/menu-methods/kde from the .debs before you
get rid of them (and edit it to use a proper directory).

-N.
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of