Re: Debian Logo *Idea* Contest! (Delay for painting contest required)

E.L. Meijer Eric" wrote:
> First Andreas Tille writes:
>
> > Once more: let us delay the painting work.  Its time for thinking
> > first.  If we could cope with this (or any better idea) then we
> > have one aim -- as well as we have one aim in developing the
> > operating system.
>
> Next he says:
>
> > to support my idea of "Orca for Debian" I would like to point to
> > some very nice pictures which can be found under
>
> So pretty pictures are important after all?  You want to convince people
> to use an orca logo with pretty pictures?

I guess that I'm responsible for this.  Andreas and myself have discussed
this issue since yesterday.  We conclude that we have to think about
what kind of logo we want to use.  Coming up with perfect artwork isn't
needed at the first stage.  There it is more important to sort out ideas.

The second stage needs artwork and/or paintings etc.  However to find out
how a particular idea would look like it is very helpful if one is able
to take a look at a preview.  That's why Andreas appended the url with
orca pix.

> I find the idea of of using some animal bad, unless it appears that
> there actually exist `debians'.  Debian is software, so the logo should

Hmm, are you a genetic expert?

> reflect that.  The important things about the software are that is is
> free, and that it is shared among people.  In 10 minutes I could come
> up with two logo designs reflecting this.  Please give me a few days to
> work this out.  What debian needs is a logo, not a discussion about an
> idea for a subject of a logo.

Please provide us with your ideas.  You seem to have a strong mind so
I hope your ideas regarding the logo are as good.

> As it was formulated, the logo contest is about an idea anyway.  Your
> idea would be `use an orca' with some reasons.  That's fine.  Submit
> it, and let others submit their ideas.

Exactly!

Regards,

	Joey

--
We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        - Linus Torvalds