Re: latex

Quoting Shao Zhang (shaoz@unsw.edu.au):
> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, William Park wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 07:38:25PM +1100, Shao Zhang wrote:
[...]
> > > 	I am having trouble to use footnote in a paragraph mode.
[...]
> > > 	\paragraph { hello world\footnotemark }
> > > 	\footnotetext{hello world}
> > >
> > > 	what did I do wrong??
> >
> > There must be a reason for not writing it as
> >     hello world\footnote{hello world}
> > isn't there?
> >
> 	Well, that is what I read from the book. It says if you want to
> 	use footnote within {...}, then you will have to use \footnotetext
> 	& \footnotetext to overcome this problem.

I've been using LaTeX for years and I don't think I've used \paragraph{...}
at all. And you probably shouldn't need to. Just write the text as you
would normally, but leave a blank line where you want to break between
paragraphs.

I would imagine \paragraph{} is (like \mbox{} for maths) to put you
in paragraph mode when, for some reason, you weren't already. But most
of the time, you will be pretty much in paragraph mode.

> > > 	Also, how do I break text into paragraphs without any white
> > > spaces at the beginning of each paragraph. I am using paragraph within
> > > section, but even if I use \noindent, it still put some white spaces at
> > > the beginning of each paragraph. This is what I did:
> > >
> > > 	\section{...}
> > >
> > > 	\paragraph\noindent { ... }

I would /guess/ that they're the wrong way round.

\noindent But just start a non-indented paragraph like this line, or...

> > '\parindent=0pt' would do it.  Now, you won't be able to tell one
> > paragraph from another, unless you put extra vertical '\parskip'
> > between them.  Again, why are you using \paragraph?  I never ever use
> > it.
>
> 	Thanks. I will try that. I don't know why I am using it. I just
> 	want to break them into paragraphs, so what command should I use
> 	instead??

Just nothing.

> 	I bought the book Latex Companion, I read a bit of it already, but
> 	I still don't have an idea, when should I use what command. I guess I must
> 	be learning in a wrong way.

No. You're learning TeX and you've bought a good book. That's two things
you've done right. The only snag is that the LaTeX Companion assumes
you've got Lamport's original book. It might be worth getting hold of
a copy, even if it's just a loan.

Cheers,