Re: latex

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Shao Zhang wrote:

>> > 	Also, how do I break text into paragraphs without any white
>> > spaces at the beginning of each paragraph. I am using paragraph within
>> > section, but even if I use \noindent, it still put some white spaces at
>> > the beginning of each paragraph. This is what I did:
>> >
>> > 	\section{...}
>> >
>> > 	\paragraph\noindent { ... }
>>
>> '\parindent=0pt' would do it.  Now, you won't be able to tell one
>> paragraph from another, unless you put extra vertical '\parskip'
>> between them.  Again, why are you using \paragraph?  I never ever use
>> it.
>
>	Thanks. I will try that. I don't know why I am using it. I just
>	want to break them into paragraphs, so what command should I use
>	instead??

In your .tex file, leave a blank line (nothing but a return).  LaTeX
interprets this as a paragrach "break".  In general, LaTeX completely
ignores whitespace, but in this case it is significant.  Multiple blank
lines don't change the behavior.  If you want the space (say, to make
the .tex file readable) but you don't want a new paragraph, just comment
the line out (with a "%").

>	I bought the book Latex Companion, I read a bit of it already, but
>	I still don't have an idea, when should I use what command. I guess I must
>	be learning in a wrong way.

>From what I've heard, it's a good book, but the best thing to do is to
get real life examples that are similar to the stuff you want to do.  I
use books mostly for the "gee, how do I make that symbol?" type
questions.  Good luck.

					-Michael

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305