Re: latex

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, William Park wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 07:38:25PM +1100, Shao Zhang wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	I am having trouble to use footnote in a paragraph mode.
> >
> > 	This is what I have done.
> >

> > 	\paragraph { hello world\footnotemark }
> > 	\footnotetext{hello world}
> >
> > 	what did I do wrong??
>
> There must be a reason for not writing it as
>     hello world\footnote{hello world}
> isn't there?

	Well, that is what I read from the book. It says if you want to
	use footnote within {...}, then you will have to use \footnotetext
	& \footnotetext to overcome this problem.

> > 	Also, how do I break text into paragraphs without any white
> > spaces at the beginning of each paragraph. I am using paragraph within
> > section, but even if I use \noindent, it still put some white spaces at
> > the beginning of each paragraph. This is what I did:
> >
> > 	\section{...}
> >
> > 	\paragraph\noindent { ... }
>
> '\parindent=0pt' would do it.  Now, you won't be able to tell one
> paragraph from another, unless you put extra vertical '\parskip'
> between them.  Again, why are you using \paragraph?  I never ever use
> it.

	Thanks. I will try that. I don't know why I am using it. I just
	want to break them into paragraphs, so what command should I use
	instead??

	I bought the book Latex Companion, I read a bit of it already, but
	I still don't have an idea, when should I use what command. I guess I must
	be learning in a wrong way.

	Thanks again for the help! :)