Re: Managing /usr/local

"Gary L. Hennigan" wrote:

> What's the name of the software that helps you keep track of what's
> getting installed in /usr/local when you install a non-Debianized
> piece of software yourself?

The search I did here gave this result:
chuck@Bertha: dpkg -l stow
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=bothchuck@Bertha: dpkg --print-avail stow
-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  stow            1.3.2-11       Organiser for /usr/local/ hierarchy

Further inquiry had this to say:

chuck@Bertha: dpkg --print-avail stow
Package: stow
GNU Stow helps the system administrator organise files under /usr/local/
by allowing each piece of software to be installed in its own tree under
/usr/local/stow/, and then using symlinks to create the illusion that
all the software is installed in the same place.

> Something akin to the Win98 uninstall
> utility. I believe you simply run it after doing a "make install", or
> similar, and it scans the specified directories for any files that may
> have been installed. It keeps a database of these so that you can
> easily uninstall whatever it is.

I have no idea if this is the sort of thing you were looking for...I haven't spent
the time working
with 'stow' to know...

> I know I've seen this discussed somewhere. If not here then certainly
> on comp.os.linux.misc, but I can't for the life of me think of a
> keyword to use in searching for it. So, I apologize in advance for
> the repetition.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

HTH.

Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner                 E-Mail:
Practical Network Design                Voice:  +1-419-529-3841