Managing /usr/local

What's the name of the software that helps you keep track of what's
getting installed in /usr/local when you install a non-Debianized
piece of software yourself? Something akin to the Win98 uninstall
utility. I believe you simply run it after doing a "make install", or
similar, and it scans the specified directories for any files that may
have been installed. It keeps a database of these so that you can
easily uninstall whatever it is.

I know I've seen this discussed somewhere. If not here then certainly
on comp.os.linux.misc, but I can't for the life of me think of a
keyword to use in searching for it. So, I apologize in advance for
the repetition.

Thanks,
Gary