Re: Best partitioning scheme?

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Kent West wrote:

> Storage mostly needs to be shared, so I think I need Samba and Netatalk
> (see below). So, after getting input from several people, this is how I'm
> looking to do things:
>
> Drive 1:
>  / = 200MB

I think 200 megs is overkill here, but since you have the space, it's
your chance.

[gaddis:jeremy]$ df -h
/dev/hda1             242M   35M  195M  15% /

When I installed Debian on this system, I allocated ~250 megs for /,
which, looking back, was way too much. Its only using 35 megs, and I
don't really expect it to ever make it to 50 megs. Now, I wish I had
only made it 50 megs, because I could use that other 200 megs elsewhere.

>  /usr = 1 GB
>  /usr/local = 500 MB (is this where stuff like StarOffice, Netscape, WP8
> would go?)

Yep. Looks good.

>  swap = 64 MB
>  /var = 100 MB
>  /tmp = 100 MB
>
> Drive 2:
>  /home = 2 GB less swap (personal storage space for 7 techs or so)
>  swap = 64 MB
>
> Drive 3:
>  /apple = 2 GB less swap (netatalk storage space for Mac software)
>  swap = 64 MB
>
> Drive 4:
>  /pc = 2GB less swap (samba storage space for PC software)
>  swap = 64 MB
>
> How does this sound? Again, thanks!

The only thing is you have 64 megs of swap on each drive. This is a
total of 256 megs. Linux will not make use of more than 128 megs,
unless you're running a 2.2.x kernel. I'd suggest making each swap
partition 16 megs, for a total of 64. This would suit you just fine,
unless you will have lots of memory hogging apps running. In that case,
I'd make each 32 megs, for a total of 128 megs.

Jeremy
  email : darqside@blueriver.net
pgp key : http://www.blueriver.net/~darqside/pgpkey.asc