Re: Help. Trying to upgrade to hamm 2.0.36

Tim Heuser <woods@gj.net> writes:

| > o  type make zImage
|
| I got to the "make zImage" command and sat around till the computer got done processing all kinds of stuff.
| The last 6 lines printed to the screen were...
|
| as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
| make [1]: as86: command not found
| make [1]:*** [bootsect.o] Error 127
| make [1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.36/arch/i386/boot'
| make:*** [zImage] Error 2
| coyote:/usr/src/linux#

Umm, you need to install the bin86 package. You may also want to take
a look at make-kpkg in the kernel-package package. It automates kernel
compilation a bit and gives you a nice Debian package that you can
install with dpkg. The short of it is you to a make <x|menu>config and
then simply do a:

make-kpkg --revision custkernel.1 --bzimage kernel_image

This proceeds to compile the kernel and when it's done it'll produce a
kernel-image<whatever>.deb file in ".." which can be installed with:

dpkg -i kernel-image<whatever>.deb

Do a "man make-kpkg" to the details for yourself first. And read
the documentation in /usr/doc/kernel-package.

When I first heard about it I thought it was a waste of time. I've
been building kernels manually since 0.99, but it really is a nifty
piece of work that simplifies a lot of things for you.

Gary