Re: XFree86 is 3.3.3.

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Peter Paluch wrote:
> The problem is that there are enough office packages with very interesting
> features, but they are simply not usable everywhere. If someone is doing
> some program (like word processor) under XWindow, why doesn't he make it
> locale-compliant, as every proper program should be done? I think if someone
> is going to make something, then he should do it either perfectly (at least
> try to do it so) or not at all. A half-done work is only problematic.

Well it is not only the problem with Slovak. I have similar problems with
Polish. Most editors and drawing programs do not use locale at all.
I had to use different tricks to force them to accept Polish codes
from the keyboard, another tricks to display Polish characters, and yet
another to get them printed :-(.
  I think that the situation will not improve until more Linux developers
are interested in using characters not included in ISO-8859-1.
  So this is the job for us - people from Eastern Europe...
  The another solution could be to use Unicode (M$W95 does it!), but I'm
afraid we have to wait for it a few years (at least :-).

				Wojtek Zabolotny
				wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl