Re: XFree86 is 3.3.3.

Hello again,
============

> > 1.) There is not even one (!) word processor which is able to export the
> > documents in MS Office97 format and is working properly with Slovak locale
> > in XWin.
>
> You don't need to blame, nor Debian, nor Linux in general, that M$Office is
> being used at your office. If they want you to use M$Office (and apparently,
> they do), then blame your employer if you don't agree with him.

No, no :) I do not blame anyone. I am just explaining the fact that there
are maybe more than ten pretty interesting office packages, but neither one
is suitable for me, because it is not properly prepared to work with
locales. I know very good that Debian has nothing to do with this fact. I'd
like to apologize if it seems that I am blaming Debian - I would never do
that!

> This is nothing personal, but I see people pointing to that so-called
> disadvantage of the products current available on Linux platforms, but
> they're pointing to the wrong people. If someone wants to have a M$Office
> compatible thing on Linux, go out and write it. Don't blame others for not
> writing it.

The problem is that there are enough office packages with very interesting
features, but they are simply not usable everywhere. If someone is doing
some program (like word processor) under XWindow, why doesn't he make it
locale-compliant, as every proper program should be done? I think if someone
is going to make something, then he should do it either perfectly (at least
try to do it so) or not at all. A half-done work is only problematic.

My friends were willing to add international support to some office
packages but they haven't received any answer.

Have you seen some of those packages? They are using their own fonts, own
keyboards, own extensions - they are apparently not using all the features
and possibilities given by XWindow. I have a beautiful collection of fonts
which contain characters from my native language but I can't use them!

Look, I'd like to completely erase Win95 out of my hard disk, but I can't. I
am permanently switching between Win95 and Linux and I hope you understand
it is sometimes driving me crazy.

> > A friend of mine, using RedHat 5.2, laughed at me when I told him that we in
> > Debian do not have even 3.3.3 when there is 3.3.3.1 out! I felt that time
> > very uncomfortable.
>
> If you
> feel better having the latest versions of software available, without caring
> about other things, I don't think Debian will suffice for you.

I don't feel better having new things just for higher version numbers. I
feel better having new things for having things finally running. By the way,
I spoke to my RedHat-using friend just because he is very clever and I
thought he would help me. He suggested installing newer version of XServer
(that didn't help much, but showed an improvement). So I reinstalled whole
XWindow 3.3.3 and it started to work.

> strives after other matters, like stability and security. I don't want to
> start another holy war, but Debian and RedHat just differ from each other on
> some points.

Neither do I. I agree.

> It is not a bug in 3.3.2, it is a feature in 3.3.3. So I don't agree with
> you. But I *do* see your point, and I'm sorry for you that it most likely
> won't be resolved in the upcoming (2.1, slink) Debian release.

I am not sure if Slink solves this - even in Potato there are still 3.3.2.x
packages!

> I don't know if your problem will be resolved if you put the latest X11
> server (3.3.3.1) in place of your current X11 server, I doubt it. I think
> the 'bug' is in some library.

Well, actually, I reinstalled only the server and main libraries and it
didn't help. Now I recompiled the whole XWin and it works. I think I know
where was the problem (I forgot to install new ISO8859-2 locale from 3.3.3).

Again - I am terribly sorry if I offended someone. I didn't mean it so,
indeed. You maybe don't see this event to be so serious than I see it, but
in fact the present state doesn't allow me to use my native language on
Linux.

All the very best,
Peter
--