Re: "Segmentation fault" installing Debian

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Tony wrote:

> >This isn't a great workaround, not even a good one, but I'd go to a prompt
> >and run fdisk (instead of cfdisk which the install starts for you).  Press
> >"m" for help, it's more primitive than cfdisk, but that's why I like it.
> >Depending on where cfdisk is segfaulting, fdisk could do the same thing.
> >Anyway, after you get a running system, you could try to figure out what's
> >going on (ie strace cfdisk) or that sort of thing.
>
> hehehe, thing is, how do I do that?  I am a total newbie to this.  I only
> know my stuff about DOS/Win.  How would I get to a prompt?  All I have on
> the HD right now is one DOS partition and the other blank one.  I see your
> logic perfectly, it is the way I want to do it but I don't know enough to
> get it done.  =)  Can you fill me in some more?

Sure, hit Alt+F2 and it'll tell you to hit enter for a prompt.  there's
also a menu option in the main install menu "go to prompt" or something
like that... haven't installed in a while, I'm not sure the exact text.

you'll have to type "fdisk /dev/hda" or whatever... hda is your first ide
drive, hdb your second, etc...

> So this segmentation fault must be some kind of incompatibility, no?

Well, it's commonly caused by a memory leak in the application in
question.  Sometimes it's a hardware problem, it's about as general as a
GPF only it's not the same thing.  Unlike GPF's though, a segfault just
brings down the application in question and not the whole machine!

In something as tested as cfdisk, I doubt it's a memory leak, but you
never know, that's why I suggested strace... if you've done C programming,
maybe you could narrow down the place where it segfaults and file a
bugreport.

good luck
-Dan