GDB Problems

I have recently been expriencing problems with GDB.
I will compiling a program with the -g symbol and
run it in gdb.  After setting a break point(typically
line one worked in the past) and running the program I
get this:

Cannot insert breakpoint 1:
Cannot access memory at address: some memory address

I have been getting this error since I reinstalled linux.
Is this a bad setting I've encountered or something else?
Perhaps I've overlooked something. Any help in fixing this
would be appreciated.

Philip Thiem
--
PENQUIN-LOVER-CODER ALERT:  ptt@umr.edu
   All windows user please exvacuate the building