ipportfw under kernel 2.2: Could not open /proc/net/ip_portfw

Hi,

I need to get IP port forwarding working ASAP on my 2.2.1-ac5-kernel system.
However I'm new to the 2.2.x masq and/or port fw stuff and I can't find a
solution to my problem myself.

The installed version of ipportfw is 1.11-7, ipfwadm's version is 2.3.0, and
ipchains' version is 1.3.8, 27-Oct-1998.

This is the rule I'd like to establish:

  ipportfw -A -t <external ip>/21 -R 192.168.1.1/21

I compiled support for IP masquerading and port forwarding into modules, and
I've loaded them:

Server:/usr/doc/ipmasq# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipip                    4872   0  (unused)
ip_masq_user            2608   0  (unused)
ip_masq_mfw             2992   0  (unused)
ip_masq_ftp             2216   0  (unused)
ip_masq_autofw          2196   0  (unused)
ip_masq_portfw          2232   0  (unused)
[...]

However if I execute the above ipportfw line I get

  ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available

Why does it say "ipfwadm"? "string" suggests ipportfw does NOT call "ipfwadm"
but that it's a message that ipportfw itself prints to the console.

If I execute "ipportfw -L" I get

  Could not open /proc/net/ip_portfw

Indeed, there ain't such a file. Can it be that I have an incorrect version of
ipportfw installed that doesn't work with 2.2.x kernels?

There's another problem I've just discovered: Altho IP masquerading seems
to work fine (I can surf the web and ping other hosts,) I can't seem to
be able to send mail (I sent this message by telnetting into a Unix
host I have an account on.) Each time I contact our SMTP server it
tries to run the AUTH service on my gateway host. Even if I allow the
service to be run the message is not accepted. HOWEVER if I manually
telnet into the SMTP server and deliver my message this way, it DOES
work. What's going on???

Hope someone can help me....

Ralf

--
Ralf G. R. Bergs, Welkenrather Str. 100, 52074 Aachen, Germany     | Team
+49-241-876892, +49-241-877776 (fax), e-mail: rabe@rwth-aachen.de  | OS/2