Sound configuration not in initial install

During the drivers installation phase there is no facility for
installing sound card info.  I find this quite odd since sound is as
ubiquitous in computing today as ethernet and TCP/IP.  The failure to
not allow us to configure sound at the outset forces us newbies to go
into the daunting task of recompiling a kernel which I have yet to do
successfully as something always seems to get mucked up!!

This is REAL shortcoming for Debian and I assume sound configuration
will be part of the base modconf come release 2.2??????

By the way I have used both the brute force kernel recompile/install
secquences out of the HOWTO's and the Debian Kernel-Package approach,
both to dismal results.