Re: Sound configuration not in initial install

David Webster wrote:

> During the drivers installation phase there is no facility for
> installing sound card info.  I find this quite odd since sound is as
> ubiquitous in computing today as ethernet and TCP/IP.  The failure to
> not allow us to configure sound at the outset forces us newbies to go
> into the daunting task of recompiling a kernel which I have yet to do
> successfully as something always seems to get mucked up!!
>
> This is REAL shortcoming for Debian and I assume sound configuration
> will be part of the base modconf come release 2.2??????
>
> By the way I have used both the brute force kernel recompile/install
> secquences out of the HOWTO's and the Debian Kernel-Package approach,
> both to dismal results.

	Sadly, I don't think sound config will ever be handled in the
initial install anytime in the near future.  Sound is already
difficult to configure and with the 2.2 kernel its gets even a
little *more* complicated, because part of the sound config has
been moved from the kernel to text config files in /etc/modutils/*
(or etc/modules.conf).  Because of this, and the fact that sound
isn't essential for the initial install process, its not going to
be handled by the Debian installer for some time into the future.

	As for your difficulty compiling a kernel, why don't you post the
problem you are having, including all error messages that occur,
to this list?  Someone might be able to help you.

--
Ed C.