Re: [FIXED] Re: Network Not Working!

Peter Ludwig <khan@one.net.au> writes:

> Umm... why?  What IS the /etc/lmhosts file?  And if samba wants it, why is
> it not referred to in the Samba Documentation (the only thing I haven't
> done is grep the files to find it, perhaps I should...)?

$ man lmhosts
Reformatting lmhosts(5), please wait...
[...]

This *is* with Samba 2.2.0beta3 though, so you might not have it in
your version.

Basically, you use this file if you don't have a WINS server, all your
hosts have static names, broadcasting names isn't working
properly, or you think it might speed things up.  e.g. I have:

    192.168.15.7    NEPTUNE

because broadcast doesn't work over a PPP link and I want to be able
to access Neptune at work from my home dialup, without worrying about
how WINS will work when I disconnect.

More information is in the smb.conf(5) man page under `name resolve
order'.

If your network works and you don't have an lmhosts file, the only
effect is that you get an annoying error, which is why I said you
could ignore it.  You could also put the following in your smb.conf.

    name resolve order = bcast host

"The risk of U.S. national security resting in the hands of adults who play
with children's toys during office hours is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                       - Bruce Martin in RISKS