Re: Network Not Working!

"Roland E. Lipovits" <lipo@teleweb.at> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 12:36:14AM +1300, Carey Evans wrote:
> > Trying to use 192.168.0.xxx is asking for trouble, in my opinion.  Try
>
> Why?

Oops.  Because:

1. It was after midnight the first day back at work, and I really
shouldn't post in that condition.  (At least when I'm drunk the posts
are usually amusing to everyone else.)

2. Because I'm very wary of putting too many zeros or ones (bits) in
an IP address.  For instance, 192.168.1.224 is a bad address for a
host when the netmask is 255.255.255.240, but that's not always
obvious at first glance.

"The risk of U.S. national security resting in the hands of adults who play
with children's toys during office hours is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                       - Bruce Martin in RISKS