[FIXED] Re: Network Not Working!

On 11 Feb 1999, Carey Evans wrote:
> Peter Ludwig <khan@one.net.au> writes:
> > This is the response I get from SMBCLIENT :
> > Added interface ip=192.168.0.1 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> > startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /etc/lmhosts. Error was No such file
> > or directory
> This is generally harmless, and you can ignore it for now.

Umm... why?  What IS the /etc/lmhosts file?  And if samba wants it, why is
it not referred to in the Samba Documentation (the only thing I haven't
done is grep the files to find it, perhaps I should...)?

> > error connecting to 192.168.0.11:139 (No route to host)
> Trying to use 192.168.0.xxx is asking for trouble, in my opinion.  Try
> setting Linux and Windows to 192.168.1.<something>.  The files to
> modify are /etc/init.d/network, /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts.  The
> hosts file could look something like:

All those files where correct, but I'll fill you in on what I've done
(because I seem to have fixed the problem here).

I checked all the settings on the Win95 Machine (They where set correctly)

I then went and checked over the whole config here, everything appeared
like it should be working.

I then went in and tried to look at the IPX routing table - oooh..
problem here... Output from route :-

IPX: this needs to be written

As I was trying to setup the network to run as an IPX network (due to
various reasons, namely wanting the win95 machine to able to dial the
internet as well as be conencted to the linux box, and win95 does not
handle multiple TCP-IP links very cleanly), I gathered that it would be
best to try the network WITHOUT the IPX backbone, and hey - it worked!  I
wonder if anyone else has had the same problem with setting up an IPX
network...

Thanks for all the info people, it has been very helpful.

Peter Ludwig