RE: slashdot poll [Suggestions for improving the installation process]

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, M.C. Vernon wrote:

> What do people like about RH? Is it worth trying to nick parts of their
> install? I found it a pain - It wouldn't let me just install individual
> packages, though I wonder whether some of the modconf stuff could be left
> out for the initial install.....

This is an interesting suggestion. Since the kernel on the install floppy
has most of the support that a beginner would initially need, we could
have a novice install path where the user chooses from a brief list of
compound options such as:

(1) Basic install with support for serial devices (modems and mice).
(2) Basic install with support for serial devices and PS2 mice.

(I'm sure that these options would need to be customized for each
architecture, but I only have experience with debian X86.)

The install script would then install an assumed set of modules to
complement the needs of this novice user, bypassing the manual module
configuration script.

Thanks. Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.