Re: Find

This is an application specific thing - three things pop to mind:
1) grep - you know what that's useful for
2) less - hit the "/" key and then type the thing your looking for (and
	hit return) hit "n" to find the next occurance.  "?" searches in
	reverse.
3) emacs - "ctrl-s" and type the word.  Hit "ctrl-s" to find the next
	occurance.

as I said, the behavior you want is handled by the specific program, not
the OS. It just so happens that most programs in Windows use the same
key ("ctrl-f") and look the same.  I think most good programs in linux
will have a search behavior, but will just have different keys.

I hope this helps.  If you still have questions, ask away!

					-Michael

NOTE:  less is the standard man pager, so the search is VERY nice when
flipping through man pages.

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, KTB wrote:

>I can't say I'm a grep whiz but I don't think it will do what I'm looking
>for.  For example if I'm looking for a certain word in a long text
>file, the file is loaded in an xterm window, will grep find the word
>and place it in front of me highlighted?  In windows I hit "ctrl+f", I
>get a pop up that allows me to enter a word, search for the word up or
>down and the program places it in my view. Kent
>
>Steve Lamb wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:27:37 -0600, KTB wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know if there's a program like the "find" program in
>> >windows?  It  allows you to search for a key word in most windows you
>> >have open, it finds the word, takes you to the word and highlights it.
>>
>>     Do you mean in text files?  grep

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305