Re: slashdot poll

	Subject: RE: slashdot poll
	Date: Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 12:13:30AM +0000

Quoting M.C. Vernon(mcv21@cus.cam.ac.uk):

> > > Debian's harder to install. One guy mentionned he could install Red Hat in
> > > less than 15 minutes. Hard to have something fully up at that speed with
> > > Debian.
> > >
> > Right.  I've recently tried Redhat and SuSE on a separate partition
> > and Debian's installation is still pure stone age. Well, i guess
> > there's still Slackware...
>
> What do people like about RH? Is it worth trying to nick parts of their
> install? I found it a pain - It wouldn't let me just install individual
> packages, though I wonder whether some of the modconf stuff could be left
> out for the initial install.....

  I got into linux 3 -4 years ago.  The only distributions that I
got to work at all were Debian and slackware.  Redhat & Caldera drove
me nuts.  I couldn't get the printer working on either one.  I stayed
with debian for about a year.  Then, while trying to update using IIRC
dselect ftp, it trashed the system.  I could still log on but that was
about it.  Deselect was just a slight bit better then glint ( or
whatever they called it).  I went back to slackware, which I still
use.

  I then tried Suse.  Yast was nice and I feel it lets a user get
packages with less confusion then deselect does but it has its own
confusing parts.  It (YAST) is IMHO much better then the tool that
I had used with Redhat.  The problem I had with Suse was they had
taken a different path (SysV) then Slackware and I found that weird.
Things weren't as stright forward as they were in Slackware.  A slight
problem was that a lot of the docs I needed to read to understand the
differences were in German.  I couldn't get the info I needed, so
dropped Suse.

  I watched the newsgroups and various ML over the years and saw that
more people were having problems with RH then they were with any other
dist (Release new version & a week later release tons of fixes).
Debian didn't have that problem.  Security on RH seemed to be a common
problem, while Debian was on top of the security issue.  The number of
packages in Debian keep increasing and seems to cover a broad enough
spectrum that should interest just about anyone.

  Now 3 years later I am again using Debian. Why?  Well I have watched
this distribution mature.  The problems that I had before have been
addressed and fixed.  The addition of apt and now the GREAT gnome-apt
will contribute to the popularity of Debian.  Hopefully deselect will
be replaces by a more understandable console program for the non-x
crowd.  As of now I have no interest at all in RH or Suse.  I have
Slackware still installed but also Hamm, Slink and Potato.  I still
have clients using Slackware but am just about ready to start the
switch to Debian.  It, IMHO, is the distribution of choice.  Gnome-apt
will allow my clients to do more admin on their own, and that is good!

> How about suggesting some improvements, rather than "I don't like the
> Debian install"?

  I find deselect as the only problem with debian.  The update section
really needs work.  Cdrom and apt are handled fine but the others
should have some type of a config file to make the options easier to
use.  I have tried the ftp option a few times and find it is easier to
get out of deselect and go get the packages myself.  Now I remember,
it asks for a directory at the site you selected and if you haven't
been there before (or are really into the structure of the site) it
doesn't do what you want.  A config file would allow anyone to
navigate that pitfall.

  Thats my only suggestion.  I can get around that problem (by not
using it) but newbies would get discouraged very fast not knowing how
else to get and install the files.

  I would like to thank the army of developers who have taken Debian
to the high level it is currently at.  I am bewildered my the poll
that has Debian as #2.  I guess that it just takes a little higher
IQ to use Debian then it does RH.  Thats fine by me, I like the
company.

Wayne

--
You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on
the continuing viability of FORTRAN.