Re: slashdot poll

wtopa@ix.netcom.com:
>   I find deselect as the only problem with debian.  The update section
> really needs work.

Actually, I'd say the `Access' and `Select' screens need work, especially
Select.

> Now I remember, it asks for a directory at the site you selected and if
> you haven't been there before

How about an `official ftp site' access method?

Connects to ftp.debian.org, downloads list of mirrors, gets the user to
pick nearest one. No need to ask for directories.

Now Select... I'm not aware of any other program in Linux that'd need to
show the help screen first up.

Let's see if I can think of them:

* When a bar is moved on up and down by arrow keys, the user expects a
menu; the Enter key should do something to the entry on which the bar is
(either install or toggle install/remove).

* The correct sequence for 'find again' is an empty search string (ie
Slash-Enter).

* There's no way to collapse the listing - so I have to page through the
Up-to-date packages to get to the Available packages. (Parts of the listing
could perhaps be collapsed into lines that say "42 packages" etc - pressing
Enter on one expands it out again.)

* The d and u keys are unusual; not sure how to fix that easily.

* The description of the O, o, I and i keys is rather terse; also, it may
be easier to pick from a menu than to cycle twice through just to see the
options.

* The formulation "Obsolete/local" is unclear.

* Once a package is installed, there seems to be no way to see the
recursive dependency screen again (eg to find a suggested package).

That'll do for today

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently