Need help with Leafnode/Netscape

I am unable to connect to my Leafnode server from my workstation
running Netscape.

I an running a server system with Debian hamm and some slink packages
advised by security advisories and a workstation with hamm and some
slink packages including Netscape 4.06.  I have installed and
configured Leafnode version 1.4 on my server system.  When I try to
connect to it from my workstation system I get the following message
from Netscape.

An error occurred with the News server.

If you are unable to connect again, contact the administrator for this
server.

I find Leafnode itself running on the server by using "ps ax | grep
leaf*" which gives 3120  1  TWN  0.02  (leafnode).   Fetch is working
since I have a file /var/lib/leafnode/groupinfo full of the group
names and there are syslog entries.  There is an appropriate entry in
/etc/inetd.conf, nntp  stream  tcp  nowait  news  /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/leafnode, and also entries in /etc/hosts.allow that was
added by the leafnode install.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

John C. Ellingboe
www.guntersville.net
begin:          vcard
fn:             John Ellingboe
n:              Ellingboe;John
org:            The Guntersville Conputer Center
email;internet: john@guntersville.net
title:          Owner
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE