Re: Need help with Leafnode/Netscape

Thank to everyone for the help.

Leafnode put the workstation system name amd localnode in
/etc/hosts.allow.  When I put the numerical address in the file
everything works fine.

I'm sorry for the repost, the return messages got droped into a folder
that I wasn't expecting them in.  I finally found them.

John C. Ellingboe
www.guntersville.net

Frankie wrote:

> Dave Swegen wrote:
> >
> > You could try going into /etc/hosts.allow and changing the hostnames for
> > leafnode so that they use numeric values instead (ie change 'localhost' to
> > '127.0.0.1'). HTH
> >
> > Cheers
> >         Dave
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 04:03 -0600, John C. Ellingboe wrote:
> > > I am unable to connect to my Leafnode server from my workstation
> > > running Netscape.
> > >
> > > I an running a server system with Debian hamm and some slink packages
> > > advised by security advisories and a workstation with hamm and some
> > > slink packages including Netscape 4.06.  I have installed and
> > > configured Leafnode version 1.4 on my server system.  When I try to
> > > connect to it from my workstation system I get the following message
> > > from Netscape.
> > >
> > > An error occurred with the News server.
> > >
> > > If you are unable to connect again, contact the administrator for this
> > > server.
>
> Is it right that you are running netscape on a different machine to
> leafnode?
>
> I think by default it blocks all access except access from the same
> machine (so people out there don't use your machine to spam).
>
> If you haven't changed your hosts.allow to include an entry from your
> workstation (like leafnode: 123.123.123.123), you probably want to.
>
> Frankie
>
> --
> Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is
> good
> for dandruff.
>
>         --Peter de Vries
>
> http://www.skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk - Drum'n'Bass music, samples and
> links.
>
> ICQ://25576761
>
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>   Frankie <frankie@skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk>
>
>   Frankie
>       <frankie@skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk>
>       HTML Mail
>   UK  Netscape Conference Address
>   Additional Information:
>   First Name    Frankie
>   Version       2.1
begin:          vcard
fn:             John Ellingboe
n:              Ellingboe;John
org:            The Guntersville Conputer Center
email;internet: john@guntersville.net
title:          Owner
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE