KDE-1.1Pre2 on a hamm system (report)

Hello,

    if someone is interested in, I just succeeded installing the KDE-1.1Pre2
    debian packages from the kde.org server on a mostly pure Hamm
    system. Here's a list of what needed to be done on my machine:

     - kdebase depends on the following packages that need to be upgraded
       manually:

       o qt-1.42:

         Sources fetched from potato and compiled on my machine using
         dpkg-buildpackage. Be sure the following _hamm_ packages are
         installed (beside some standard -dev packages):

              mesag2      2.6-3   A 3-D graphics library which uses the OpenGL
              mesag2-dev  2.6-3   Development library for Mesa [libc6].
              gltt1       1.7-3   library to read and draw TrueType fonts in O
              gltt1-dev   1.7-3   development kit for gltt

       o libjpeg62:

         Fetching the Slink binary does not work due to wrong libc6
         version. But building a debian binary from the slink source can
         easily be done using dpkg-buildpackage.

       o libncurses4:

         Same as for libjpeg62. The sources are in the libs section not in
         the base section. I recognized no conflicts with the hamm curses
         packages after installation.

       o zlib1:

         kdebase depends on version 1.1.3 which must be compiled as well. Be
         sure to use the sources from the oldlibs section not from the libs
         section where only 1.1.2 can be found. This version also includes
         some libc5 packages which need an old gcc version. I fixed this by
         not using dpkg-buildpackage but "debian/rules binary-zlibg" after
         removing some dependencies in the rules file.

     - After all the kde packages could easily be installed.

       But I removed them soon afterwards, cause my whole system stopped
       (even the kernel, no ping response from externel) each time I logged
       out. Guess these are some pci problems triggered by kde. Has anyone
       else seen this (kernel version is 2.0.34) ?

           Peter

    P.S. It's possible easier compiling kde from scratch and installing it in
         the /usr/local tree.
Peter Weiss, Adejeweg 20, D-Unterhaching, Tel:  089/ 61029803
---    The foolish ones taught more to me than the wise ones ever could    ---