RE: workman and sound

In the interest of trying to understand how ownership and permissions
work, let me ask you a question.  As root, I ran 'adduser <me> cdrom'
since cdrom is the group that owns my CD drive.  This should allow me to
remove the harmless world rw permission from /dev/cdrom.  Looking in
/etc/group, I can see that I am in group cdrom, but when I run 'groups' as
me, it only shows me as being in group audio and my own group, but not
cdrom.  Do I need to log out and log back in to get the change to take?
Is there a command that will update my shell without a logout?  I really
don't want to log out, and I expect more from Linux than that anyway.

Thanks,

Richard Hall
Network Services
University of Tennessee