TNT/OpenGL acceleration?

Having made the decision to grit my teeth and buy a whole new machine,
I'm giving a lot of thought to what video card to buy. My current one
(which will continue to live with us) has some cheapo SVGA card and uses
3dfx for Quake.

I really like TNT though, and it would be nice to buy a 2D/3D card that
at least nominally supports XFree86 (source obfuscation issues aside, I
know) AND allows me to play That Game without having to shell out for a
separate Voodoo II.

Catch is, the Linux Quake HOWTO and its friends all seem to suggest that
3dfx is the only way to get hardware-accelerated Quake (or much else)
going. There are hints here and there that Riva were thinking about
addressing this issue, but I can't find anything recent. If this is
still true, I can't really justify buying a card like this since I don't
run Windows on anything so won't get all that lovely 3D stuff.

Short form: is it/will it soon become feasible to run
hardware-accelerated stuff like Quake[II] with just a TNT card? Or
should I just shrug, buy a nice Voodoo II, and pick up a nice 2D card at
the same time?
--
Joel Gluth                         <joel-at-n-space-dot-com-dot-au>
Software Engineer, N-Space Adelaide.      http://www.n-space.com.au