Re: TNT/OpenGL acceleration?

Joel Gluth <joel@not-n-space.com.au> writes:

> Short form: is it/will it soon become feasible to run
> hardware-accelerated stuff like Quake[II] with just a TNT card? Or should
> I just shrug, buy a nice Voodoo II, and pick up a nice 2D card at the
> same time?

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago on this mailing list, and I
think that the conclusion was that there is no 3d support from Nvidia for
the Riva TNT chipset, but that they recently decided to release
non-obfuscated Xserver code and maybe there's hope.

I have a Voodoo I card (got it new for $39 after a bunch of rebates!) and
it works OK with Linux Quake II version 3.20, running as root.  (And there
are exploits for Quake II - ID left a backdoor in Quake II :-() so even the
Voodoo solution is somewhat suboptimal.

Later,
	Dale
--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |