Linux/windows networking questions.

Ok, I'm at wits end here... 3 days and 5 ... yes FIVE installs of 98
later I've decided that I HATE windows... and would realy realy love
to dump it. However, My school (Milligan, www.milligan.edu) uses
a Microsoft Proxy Sever/Client v2.0 (MAJOR YUCK) on the schools
network... and I can't figure out how to get linux to have Inet
access. I've gotten to the point where I get a Ip address from the
DHCP server ... but I still can't ping anything .. via Ip address's or
hostnames ...

I would REALY love to dump this crappy os... I just NEED the net
access....

I don't know anything about networking ... and I know I'm shy on
details here ... but I don't even know what details are needed ....

Any help whatsoever would be GREATLY appreciated...

TIA

-Kevin Poorman.